Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July (from Stratford on Avon)

So I'm sitting here in my flat. It's 8pm, and I need to run to the store to get some yogurt and bread. I need to write an essay on The Communist Manifesto by tomorrow morning at 10am, and I'm feeling pretty sleepy. I still haven't had dinner, and we've been running around all day at Stratford Upon Avon.

Then it hits me. It's the 4th of July. At home, everyone is sweltering, and BBQing, and packing pic-a-nic baskets and all that good stuff, and I'm sitting here wondering if I need to bring my umbrella while I run down to the store. However, I did feel a bit at home today. You see, between seeing Anne Hathaway's house (that would be Shakespeare's wife) and Shakespeare's birth place, I wandered around town aimlessly. You know, it's nice seeing the historical monuments and all, but more interesting is just talking to the locals. So I make it a point to pop into shops while they're not busy and chat with the shop owners for a few minutes. I ran across this party shop, but I did resist the urge to go in. Utterly fantastic, though. Nice to know there are no hard feelings, right?

No comments: