Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The Victoria and Albert, and Westminster Abbey


Flowers
Originally uploaded by jakeline
First off, before I forget. The funniest thing I've EVER seen is a open-topped tourist bus being caught in a rain storm. It was perfectly lovely, then the skies opened up and it started pouring... and these poor people stuck in the open top of the bus tried their damnedest to not get soaked. It was so funny, but also a "but for the grace of god, there go I" kind of moment. It made me snicker all day.

So yesterday, I went to the Victoria and Albert museum. It is an art museum, but it's very, very grand. I tried to take some pictures while I was in there, but frankly, any pictures I take would not do the area justice. I did get a couple of nice pictures of the courtyard, and I did like the picture I took of the info desk. What amazed me was the castings of major sculptures that had been done in the Victorian ages. They had one casting of a pillar (or something) in the colleseum that would have been 180 feet tall, if it hadn't been (intentionally) broken in half. The scale was unbelievable, especially in an enclosed building. I really enjoyed myself, and the photography gallery, although small, was fantastic. I couldn't figure out how to get a Salvador Dali mask home, so I left that one at the museum gift shop.

Today, I had class, then we went to the Westminster Abbey. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. You know how you have that crazy older relative who has their house absolutely crammed full of tchockes, so that you can't admire any of them because they're just freakin' everywhere? Well that's what the Westminster Abbey felt like. Except with coffins.

No comments: