Friday, June 29, 2007

Thank god for insurance

So, it seems that I caught a bug on the plane. There's never yet been a time that I haven't gotten sick sometime after I've flown on a plane, despite taking airborne and washing my hands thoroughly. So, when I started coming down with a little cold, it wasn't entirely unexpected. Unfortunately, I wasn't getting better. I got sick on Tuesday night, and each day, I've felt worse, and have been running a nasty fever. Well, I can only assume it was a nasty fever, seeing as how we don't have a thermometer. Anyhow, I've been trying to keep up with everything, but have just been feeling worse and worse. Finally, one of the student life people at our program asked me why I didn't see a doctor. So, I called the insurance folks (I'm insured through the study abroad program), and they offered to see me at 10:30 or at 11:45. Bear in mind, this was at 10:00. So I took the 11:45 appointment and dragged my sick ass over to the doctor. He was super, SUPER nice, and the whole experience was really interesting. First off, I met with a secretary in a front offic to work out my personal details, then she walked me over to the doctor. We spent about 5 minutes chatting about what was wrong, any prescription drugs I was already on, and my medical history. He did a thorough exam (and he did agree that my throat looked pretty nasty), and he prescribed an antibiotic and sent me on my way. The worst part was that my fever had broken that morning, so I couldn't stop sweating in the waiting room, in the tube, walking to and front the tube, and etc. Oh well. I'm sure I'll be feeling better shortly, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get some rest since the weekend is here.

Speaking of which, it wasn't look like the roomies will be travelling this weekend (DAMN!), so I won't have the place to myself. However, I'm assuming they'll largely be out and about (and I've been politely told not to do anything over the next few days), so I'm hoping I will have some peace and quiet to get some reading in.

Oh, and very interestingly, I was in the Picadilly Circus station this morning while going to the doctor, and I didn't notice anything odd. However, I didn't have to go aboveground; I was just transferring stations.

No comments: